Clearly, barrel twist rate and chamber throat dimensions do affect accuracy. 325gr FTX 46gr Imr 4198. Rick, Your 24.7gr of H4198 with the 39 & 40 is 2.2 gr more powder than Hodgdon recommends for the 33gr bullet. But maybe there other members who disagree. Around 2007, when the exchange rates strongly favored Australia over Canada, Hodgdon started selling an Australian-made version of H4198 as IMR-4198. you looking for max velocity, or accuracy? Right now I'm liking 24.5gr of RL15. I know that 22 grains of IMR498 and either a 50 V-Max or Blitzking has been very accurate in every rifle I've fired them in. /x:^6"]eAfy(Pjch[nc2@:P%N!CvU}V5tFUs4ejng5bVCv[ of IMR4198 and 52gr bullets. You must log in or register to reply here. This is simply not true. of IMR-4198. Both are in the 24 - 25gr range. JavaScript is disabled. I had a 222 and it was.amazing in that cartridge. We'll see. In fact, if all of the propellant gas exits the muzzle (i.e., the primer or cartridge case didnt leak or blow out), youre a long way toward declaring your handload safe and reliable. Mediocre accuracy and velocity combined with lousy metering in the powder measure. 0000002396 00000 n Maybe you'll have no issues but lot's do with 4198 powders in AR's. This combination has proven to be very good from a number of rifles, not only mine. Even if it shoots good I probably won't buy anymore. Never have used that powder in much of anything. Its still a port pressure problem. I don't have my data here in front of me but I use IMR-4198 with a 50gr V-Max. I use a lot of Varget in my WW2 era bolt rifles, have been going to work up a load using it in 223. handloads with lightweight 40-grain varmint bullets and HP38, Trail Boss, and CFE Pistol. New H&R Retro lineup from Palmetto State Armory * Shot Show 2023, Road Trip: Marysville, WA 98270 to JBLM (tacoma, WA 98433), Redfield International sight sets with rear base, Kalashnikov USA 12.5" Komrad with Extras (12 Gauge). If nothing else, this has been educational for me. with a 55gr. Lever Action Pump Action Semi-Auto Single Shot . Heav-ier bullets were excluded, as I am unaware of any commercially made .223 rifles with a twist rate faster than 1:8 (with the exception of the previously mentioned discontinued Savage rifles), which is generally necessary to stabilize select 75-grain and most 80- to 90-grain bullets. Competition shooters know that the bullets position in the chamber throat/leade can significantly affect accuracy. IMR 3031 Smokeless Powder Smokeless Powder IMR Powder Co. IMR 3031 1 Container Approximate net weight 1lb. __________________ Play with it, you might find that magical combination. We believe the 2nd Amendment is best defended through grass-roots organization, education, and advocacy centered around individual gun owners. Thank you again. Additional experimental cartridges were designed to function in the AR-15 and meet military requirements, including the .222 Special (aka .224 Springfield) that had a shorter case, shorter neck and shorter overall cartridge length than the .222 Remington Magnum. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win. IMR recommends always consulting www.IMRReloading.com for the most accurate, up-to-date data. Using N-133 and the same bullets, the best combination came at 25.6gr. I have come to the conclusion that if this doesn't shoot accurately in your rifle, nothing will. $365.09. We need to get one thing straight. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. It cycles perfectly with factory ammo, so I do not feel it is anything with the gun. "If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself." I used IMR4198 in my wife's 222 Rem, and have tried it in cast bullet guns from 22 Hornet to 45/70. Good burn and accurate charges. load. All the accompanying data was developed using Winchester Small Rifle primers. Brand: Savage. IMR4198 is all Ive used in 223 and 222, since about 1982. New Hornady cases were used exclusively here and were uniform in weight, length, flash hole size, etc. This combination has proven to be very good from a number of rifles, not only mine. IMR 4198 POWDER For Reloading 223. xHXY%p m^_l +me} C'~af,[sgP Item Number: 18607. You are using an out of date browser. shooting my 38-55 with lead bullets, 255 gr. I worked up a load for a Barnes 55gr HP with 4198 this weekend. Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right. Have loaded thousands of 50-55 grain in .223 with IMR 4198 begining early 80s. Use in smokeless muzzleloader with great success. Keep up the good work IMR. Then I trickle the rest in with a battery operated Hornady Vibarator Trickler. riflesa CZ 527 bolt action and a Sun Devil SD-15 autoloaderto use for this report, and I built a lot of handloads to shoot in both guns. My experience shows, generally speaking, the faster-burn-rate choices work better with bullets weighing up to 60 grains. My Savage 223 model 110 . 50 gr. Benelli Lupo Bolt-Action Rifle Line Expanded with New Chamberings, Strasser RS 14 Evolution Consul III Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. IMR 4198 has been my .223 powder since about 1981. Around 1959, the .222 Special was renamed the .223 Remington to prevent confusion, but it was not introduced commercially until December 1963 in the Remington Model 760 pump-action rifle and was soon chambered in other rifles. However, in direct-impingement ARs, the gas port diameter and how far its located along the barrel are fixed. Can't imagine the 223 would be much different. I have been looking for alternative powders, but soon everything could be gone. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. Kimber's Hunter Pro Desolve Blak takes the firm's more affordable mountain rifle to new heights. Still under powered when compared to Nato ammo. bullets. Compressed charges of slower-burn-rate propellants are more compatible with loading heavier bullets. Do that by experimenting. 0000001516 00000 n I don't remember ever trying a different bullet but I might have. Contributing Editor for RifleShooter Magazine, Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a review of this modernized version of an iconic favorite. L6: 2.260 inch = 57.40 mm Barrel Length : 16.0 inch = 406.4 mm Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders. This is a compressed charged (anything over 25gr with 3031 in a 223 Rem case will be a compressed charge) and needs to have a slight crimp in it. I have burned a lot of IMR 4198 in the 223 under a 50gr V-Max. I've never used any of the H powders (4198,4831, etc) just to keep the number of variables down. The only draw back is the V-Max 53's need a 1-9 or 1-10 to shoot accurately in the 223s'. Most success is in bolt guns it seems. 0000001760 00000 n Traditionally, it propels a 55-grain bullet at 3,240 fps a notable increase in velocity and effective range when compared to the .222 Remington. Excuse my ignorance. Extremely accurate in a couple guns I have. The le-de-France (/ i l d f r s /, French: [il d fs] (); literally "Isle of France") is the most populous of the eighteen regions of France.Centred on the capital Paris, it is located in the north-central part of the country and often called the Paris Region (French: Rgion parisienne, pronounced [ej paizjn]). I purchased this powder to reload 45-70 for my sharps rifle, I dont load them to hot as I want something enjoyable to shoot all afternoon target shooting. I'm wondering if it would make sense because the cost to shoot is quite a bit less. Another step Ive found to be necessary when reloading for 223 Rem./5.56mm autoloaders is verifying the headspace. Damn, I wish I knew what bullet he loaded as he can't remember the brand. Sierra lists different maximums between bolt & autos. 0000021151 00000 n Ive seen a lot of his targets that further confirm the fact that accuracy in bolt actions can be improved in this manner. This is my Varmint load for my VTR-15 RIFLE (22" barrel). 0000007976 00000 n Only trial and error can teach you just how much force is required to cleanly chamfer the pocket lip and not cut away too much of the case material. Nonetheless, their average water capacity was almost the same as the combined average of the weighed commercial brass. A few examples include the Ruger American (1:8), Mossberg MVP (1:9) and Thompson/Center Encore (1:10). (it's been suggested these are Nosler over-run JSP slugs). You are using an out of date browser which is likely incompatible with our website. And, fortunately, nobody can work the bolt fast enough to extract the case while theres residual pressure in the barrel. 2 of 7 failures to cycle the bolt back far . I shot a lot of it in .222 back in the '70s before I graduated to .22-250. Hodgdon IMR 4198 smokeless rifle powder is just the fast burning propellant you'll want for small bore varmint shooter rifle cartridges. Its best to weed out any irregular cartridges to avoid problems later. All Rights Reserved. Of the powders used to develop the accompanying data, there is not a single right or wrong choice, as all gave respectable accuracy and velocity. 0000010557 00000 n It appears 4198 is not a good choice for AR type guns. Wolfe Publishing Company | 2180 Gulfstream Suite A | Prescott, AZ 86301. attentiveness vs attention imr 4198 for 223 bolt action. This was in the 80's and as powder reloading manuals have been tuned down over the years, my load is .6 over max (just checked the Hodgdon site). The three-blade cutter is permanently and precisely mounted on a steel base to assure proper depth and angle of the resulting chamfer. Just a note that if you research using IMR or H4198 you will find it's the most problematic powder for reloading AR's. I am new to reloading the .223 round. Loc: Mason,Tx,U.S.A. I had some, didn't like it. I don't recall any data using I-4198. Model : UPC : 754486053066. The Remington Model Seven is ready, willing and able to handle just about any task. One new winner* is announced every week! I have on hand a few pounds of IMR 4198 that I normally use in my 6.8, and was looking into loading some 55 grain 223 rounds with it. I got a 8 pound key of 4198 for my wifes bolt action 223. The original load was a 160-gr. To develop the accompanying handload data, a Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max was used; it features a 22-inch barrel, a 1:9 twist rate and was fitted with a Nikon 3-12x M223 scope. what channel is bounce tv on xfinity. match bullet. My AR is a 16" Bushmaster M4 chambered in 5.56. Hello guys and thanks for the replys. Nickel size+/- 5 shot groups at 100yds. The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? I found the IMR 4198 powder is the most accurate powder for my 7.62 x 39 loads. 62gr: Code: Cartridge : .223 Rem. SKU : 941988. Extremely versatile powder . This powder is one of the best that I have used I have been reloading for about 13 years now and I have relied on this powder for most of my rifle bullets needs. It worked fine. many years ago long before I had any interest in AR-15s, has reams of 223 Rem. Development of the .223 Remington began in 1957, and it became commercially available in January 1964, about a month prior to U.S. military adoption of its twin cartridge Cartridge, 5.56mm Ball, M193 for the AR-15/M16 rifle. bullets in .223 Rem., IMR 4895 would be a better choice but in times of scarcity we must use what we can get. Constitutional Carry may have a trap built in. Toggle menu. 0000012032 00000 n Reloading 223 Rem./5.56mm is mostly the usual routine. Despite this, most of the powders used . I found a pound in my stash. This powder works great for my 45/70 gov, loads. Since reloading for my Mini-14 starting back in the mid 80's I've had excellent results with H335, BLC-2, Win 748, Acc 2230. I have had better results with, well, everything else. Wife said I had enough bullets, I don't understand! intend on doing with this bullet, and what you intend shooting it out of. Shoots outstanding ! Good old IMR 4895 had published loads for each of these cartridges. I found this powder to burn clean an not much residue left in the barrel, I really like it. With an Accu-Fit stock and left hand adjustable bolt, this rifle is a perfect choice for anyone! I don't like how Hornady splits up the 223/5. 4198 with 40 grainers, you can get those going in the 3700 fps range or more.. 5?Z^svZi+4`yj!+o%gCR] 7%[P.]u$r4~%TitoUu}dxQ^_y9:sz^7;[K` o endstream endobj 64 0 obj 1540 endobj 65 0 obj << /Filter /FlateDecode /Length 64 0 R >> stream Choose a powder that best fills the case, about 80 to 90% and choose a powder that gives the highest velocity with the bullet you want. Started using 4198 originally and found it very accurate with 55 gr (mostly what I load). I had a 222 and it wasamazing in that cartridge. Why? While safe in my rifles using my methods of development, please use professional guidance for your own efforts. The IMR 4198 POWDER is highly stable due to the presence of high-quality chemical stabilizers used in its preparation. Introduced in 1965 with the .444 Marlin cartridge, the Model 444 was the most powerful lever action of its day. However, my handloading mentor, John Redmon, who actually got me started in handloading the 223 Rem. sometime since then, Hodgdon has gone back to Canadian-produced IMR-4198. Trying out Varget and. Initially, sporting rifles chambered for the .223 Remington and mil-spec AR pattern rifles designed to fire the M193 Ball cartridge featured a 1:12 rifling twist. Just make sure you use IMR data not H data as these are not the same powders. February 24, 2022 armstrong siddeley cars for sale armstrong siddeley cars for sale I need about 25 rounds per "match" with 1 or 2 matches per week for league shooting. Thats the energy source required to retract the bolt, extract the fired case, and self-load another round from the magazine. lol. It may or may not cycle. 3298 do you have a reloading book? I use the Hodgdon data to reload all my different rounds. Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. Have many loads sub MOA .223 Remington and 308 rifles. Single-metal bullets. 4198 works excellent in my son's Savage 10 Varmint .223 bolt rifle. In my Savage 10FP 1-10" twist my go to load is the 52 gr SMK with 19.8 gr of 4198 . I scale my charges most of the time. As I only reload what I shoot. April 17th, 2019 - Imr 4198 Powder Reloading Data I can find load data with 25 gr Hornady s using IMR 4198 but nothing with 20 N120 is one of the suggested 17 Hornet powders in the latest Hornady manual A few test loads for the 458 SOCOM using IMR 4198 Powder and 300 grain this load data There are two options for acquiring data on the Hodgdon . Buy IMR 4198 directly from IMR. Shoots consistently out of my muzzleloader. I think this is an excellent powder and will continue to use it for my 45-70 reloading. Anybody use something like a 223 bolt action to practice at the range instead of always using their larger caliber hunting rifle? I'm not a 223 shooter or owner however, with the two cartridges the 223 more less evolved from, the 222 Rem. IMR-8208 XBR yields excellent accuracy with 69s or 77s. 0000006732 00000 n Looking for a 7mm rem mag bolt action or browning blr lever action browning bar.semi auto might be interested in other calibers also. For example, most bullet manufacturers offer highly frangible varmint bullets that give near-explosive results on thin-skinned pests such as ground squirrels and prairie dogs. 225 V RIFLE RELOADING DATA My barrel is a 1:8 twist though so I switched to a heavier bullet to tighten the groups. Beth Shimanski of Savage introduces their all new straight-pull rifle. You will either find a node, or switch bullets to the 50-52 grain bullets and start over. In spite of stiff competition, the .223 is easily the most widely used centerfire varmint cartridge in the world. The data I viewed from imr shows a max load below what you listed if that is in fact correct.You may ffind a very accurate load for your gun using this powder, if you use it as a single shot. For the .223, I loaded 24.5 grains with the Speer 52 grain BTHP match bullets for about 2850 fps and started shooting 1/2" groups in my Ruger 77 long Range Rifle with very little experimenting. I've used between 19 and 20.5 grains of IMR 4198 with mixed results. When loading for a 5.56 NATO-chambered AR, the COL is restricted to 2.260 inches. They typically weighed between 90.5 grains and 92.5 grains and on average held around 30.6 grains of water, measured level with the case mouth. Sure Shot: The barrel has a 1 in 8 twist. You might be able to chamber that round in your bolt gun by forcing the bolt to close, but youll likely jam the action in an AR that the forward assist cant overcome. The maximum listed by IMR for a 55 gr bullet was 21.5 gr back then (2001) and what i used. CAUTION: The following post includes load data generated by calculation in QuickLOAD software based on a particular powder lot, the assumption the primer is as mild as possible, and assumptions about component, chamber and gun geometry that may not correspond well to what you have. I never tried 4198 in an AR because my experience with it in a bolt action .223 was severely underwhelming. This Extreme series extruded propellant has gone through some changes since its inception while maintaining the identical burning speed of the past. windshield wiper broke off while driving. My AR is a 16" Bushmaster M4 chambered in 5.56. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Even if a fella only had, say a 30/30 barrel, being a single-shot, it's very easy to load it to make 50-yard head-shots on squirrels with a little lead and and a pinch of powder. 0000013745 00000 n A few examples include the (1) Browning BLR 81, (2) Thompson/Center G2 Contender, (3) Ruger No. In 1957, the Armalite AR-15 rifle was in development, and the .222 Remington case was lengthened, its shoulder moved forward and its neck shortened to create a new experimental cartridge that would offer greater performance and properly function in the gas-operated action. However, it is all I have at the moment. 78gn of IMR 4198 has shot about .75-1 MOA (5-shots groups) in my Hankins barreled action with the 275BE and 275MH. I am using a 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullet with Sellier and Bellot small rifle primers. Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. The H4198 load produced exceptionally light recoil but it still managed to cycle the bolt and strip another cartridge for every successive shot. Depending on the pressure curve generated when firing a round, an AR may or may not function satisfactorily. Then back to a (published here) max load of 4227 for 300 gr jacketed bullets. If youre not shooting a single-shot rifle, the length of the magazine box may dicatate the maximum COL possible. All I can say is that 4198 is a lot faster and,a lot lighter charge than the powders I use. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I recently bought reloading equipment for my son-in-law and grandsons to reload the .45-70 for Ohio deer hunting. This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! The hogs are dead before they hit the ground. The brass stays in the chamber and/or the rim is torn or bent. I started using IMR 4198 to I worked up a load too 21.5grs with 55gr bullets with a AOL of 2.250. If looking to acquire an automated powder-charge dispensing unit to speed up precision reloading, don't judge the RCBS ChargeMaster Lite powder scale and dispenser by its name; the Little Green machine packs a heavy-weight punch with speed and accuracy. Have found it to be pretty accurate in my Rem model 7. If ammunition is to be used in extremely cold temperatures, a magnum primer is suggested, especially when using spherical powders. Just that, in most applications, you wont find a significant difference than if you simply segregate your cases by headstamp. Powder: IMR 4198 36.0 grains Primer: CCI 200 AOL 2.650 I shot some of these this week, and I had three five shot groups all . Back then a 55gr bullet was a heavy bullet in the 223 and about all I used Seem's factory barrels came with 1-9 twist's said to best balance that heavy bullet. Best accuracy has been found at approximately 1/2 grain under published maximum. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! The load data chart shows that when shooting identical hand-loads in the bolt gun and the AR, the CZ 527 generally did better than the Sun Devil SD-15 with the lighter bullets, and the SD-15 typically grouped the heavier bullets better. Meters well, burns clean. If so you can check that by using it. It is also outstanding in cartridges like the 444 Marlin and 7.62 X 39. I also built some specialty 223 Rem. I believe, I am what is keeping it from its full potential. One thing I will say is that I had someone try to reload 223 in my press one time that had been shot through a suppressed AR and even after sizing/depriming the case would spring back into a larger shape and would end up not chambering. CAN. This fast-burning rifle powder gives outstanding performance in cartridges like the 222 Remington, 221 Fireball, 45-70, and 450 Marlin. Happy to find it in stock! Great for small and large-bore rifle shooters; Exceptional performance in cartridges like the .222 Remington, .221 Fireball, .45-70, .450 Marlin, and the 7.62 x 39 . . The decapping pin in the sizing die may not be stout enough to knock these out without being damaged, so deprime them before resizing using a special die expressly made for this task. That was a long time ago. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Although if I were to reload for a AR. Is there any milsurp IMR8208 around anymore? I've always used both 4895 powders for my military bolt guns, but have heard it gives good results in the 223/5.56 caliber. Accurate Arms 2230 would be my preferred for those quick moving gas operated AR bolts shooting a 55 gr bullet seated in Federal brass. I used it to reload 223 in a ar-15 pistol with a 7.5 in barrel this product did exactly what I wanted it to do it was accurate and velocities were right where I wanted them to be 2200 FPS with a 55 gr bullet this may not be rifle velocity you want but it is good in short barrel ar pistols. Savage 10 FCP-K 223 Rem Law Enforcement Bolt Action Rifle. Very few AR15's will cycle with H4198 but a few reportedly do. In spite of the .223 Remingtons name, standard bullet diameter is .224-inch. IMR-4198 was only made for a short time in Australia starting in 2007 when the exchange rates strongly favored Australia over Canada. You wont be able to reprime without damaging the primer or maybe even setting one off if you get frustrated and try to force it into an obstructed pocket. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. That always seemed to work for me but I was nver able to get a 223 to shoot with an old Rem 788 in 222 Rm. With-out-doubt. My experience shows, generally speaking, the faster-burn-rate choices work better with bullets weighing up to 60 grains. Used to be very popular in .221 FB, .222, and .223. bullet of your choice. I had about 250 pieces of Lake City (LC) 5.56 NATO brass already prepped and ready to load. The load data says a min of 18.8 grains up to a maximum of 20.4. Click the Sierra icons here Hodgdon MSDS on the new powder. Old Dupont IMR 4198 can be loaded to 21.5 gr with 55gr bullets. But as you probably require many rounds being made for your up coming event. winchester 748 load data 204 ruger winchester 748 load data 204 ruger E,)Y~.x7 )J7_Kz~O]OX8y'b.w`6HQ#R4u ( Copyright 1996-2023 AR15.COM LLC. 2 Reply Thomaswitt46 2 yr. ago Sierra lists it for up to 55grain bullets. I haven't chronograph-ed the the load but out of my Remington 700 Varmitter, it's a shooter. The maxorder quantity of any powder SKU is, https://shop.hodgdon.com/sites/www/files/2022-04/2022-IMR%20Single%20Base%20SDS. The load data says a min of 18.8 grains up to a maximum of 20.4. Sierra flat base over either 19.7 or 20 grs. I got a 8 pound key of 4198 for my wifes bolt action 223. This powder is dyed grey-black and the powder kernels are cut longer to more resemble original, Canadian-made IMR-4198. Have tried 4198. . 0000003178 00000 n Buy 5 Lbs. Google" port pressure ar15" Location and size of the port has a direct effect. Buy Powder - IMR 4198 - 1lb: GunBroker is the largest seller of Reloading Supplies Ammunition Reloading All: 973169941. . The list of match bullets is extensive, typically ranging in weight from 52 to 75 grains (even 80- to 90-grain bullets requiring a faster-twist rate than discussed here).
Does Sharpie Burn Off In A Kiln, Articles I