If you have been convicted of a felony charge in a foreign country and enough time has passed (i.e. Its best to apply directly to the Canadian government in advance. As far as getting sent back; is there something in your record which would restrict you from entering the USA? 71 of 1954), stimulants The Canada Temporary Resident Permit allows you to visit Canada for a limited amount of period. Even if only in transit you will be subjected to the same scrutiny as if you were entering the U.S. for a period of time. I am a recovering addict. Most customs officers will look the other way if it has been more than 5 years. CC Help Jenn be more likely that a felony record will cause a person to be denied entry compared to someone with a lesser conviction such as a petty theft offense. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-81606873', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Canada Customs before changing planes. 3The Canadian authorities will see the type of crime if it would have been punished in Canada by a term in prison of at least ten years or less than ten years. A friend of mine had an old conviction for marijuana possession. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. Many states, plus the federal criminal code, categorize their felony crimes by degree of seriousness, from the most serious to the least. If you are a green card holder, you can travel to Canada with Electronic Travel Authorization from the Canadian government. The other method of applying for a TRP is at the Canadian Consulate. kbalthaser66, January 28, 2011 in Canada (Alaska/Pacific Coastal). Quick Answer: No, when crossing the Canadian border you will be denied entry and considered inadmissible. After completing a felony sentence, the person ends up with a criminal record, which can have long-lasting effects on a person's future, impacting employment, immigration status, housing, and civil rights. Required fields are marked *. To get a TRP: you must prove that your reason for travelling to Canada is justified. 3Additionally, it would help if you highlighted at least five years have passed since the termination of any penalty regarding conviction, as the prison term and probation. So can you not go to Mexico if you have a criminal record ? There are two ways to travel to Canada with felony charges or convictions appearing on your criminal record. I think some of this will depend on whether or not you can stay behind security for your layover or if you have to come through (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? There is a great risk of refusal in the case of TRP applications if it is not planned perfectly. What route will your return flight to the US take? CanadaVisa.com was founded in 1994 as the online presence of Cohen Immigration Law. Matthew1218, the chance that the OP will come back to read this post is slim. << Cambridge Arts Theatre Best Seats, Minecraft How To Add Attributes To Items With Commands, Articles L