Forester Cross Bolt Locking Rings are recommended for all dies used in the Co-Ax Press.Lee Precision Cast Iron Hand Press Amazon Prices . Thats all I use and never had any issues. What are your experiences with these? I have 5 Whidden sizer dies and about 10 to 12 sets of Redding dies. Most over-resize the front portion of the case near the shoulder, and don't resize the base of the case enough, if at all. Either a bushing change or collet die can control this. I use Redding dies for everything I own, that is until I got my 6.5 PRC. I should have been more clear in my OP. They produce concentric rounds and theres a lot of options for customizing in regards to expanders and seating stems. Redding, Forster, Whidden, Wilson, and other high-dollar dies may not be worth it if you're just plinking, but if . I got a Redding standard FL die and it has been successful getting the brass back into spec. I had used the same 100 Lapua cases for all of those, so averaging over 20 loads per case and still running fine. I like the Forster a little better as the graduations are easier to read. If you want maximum precision for your favorite rounds including many wildcat rounds you need the tools we build into each one. The bushing sizer die uses a bushing to aid in the sizing of the neck while the body of the die does the sizing of the case body. The amount of tension is determined by the size of bushing used. It serves no function in sizing. You must log in or register to reply here. 2023 Whidden Gunworks All Rights Reserved. Redding is top of the line in my opinion. And please refill my mug with some bushing die stout, pronto. I have both, but have more of the Forester seaters. $121.62. Whidden's neck bushings are much higher quality as well. Privacy Policy. Hornady as been able to let me load a sub 1/2 rifle consistently, but I would still like the quality of Redding. So its just the bushing sizing the neck tension thats it? What if you used a mandrel die to set neck tension? Deprime by hand. Yes. I was questioning the statement ". you cant control neck tension with a non bushing die ..". Necks are not overworked, and neck diameters are consistent to within .0005. Forster honed die here. The depth increments are easily read and will stay that way for years of use. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. I use my 25/06 collet die to size the necks of my 257 Weatherby mag and it works great. Anneal, everytiime. The non-bushing sizer die works basically like the bushing sizer die. In every case, Im using a bushing/expander combination that the expander is only a couple of thousands larger then the bushing only sized case, and the stroke of the expander passing through the neck on the upward stroke is quite mild. Avoiding the expander ball is a really go thing. I want full length resize but am open to bushing. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Using my Hornady concentricity gauge I sampled each batch of 20 and runout was 1/2 thousandth in each direction. Yes. So you were not able to bump the shoulder with a neck die? 2) I have found with unturned necks, that if I don't hold the case in the die for at least 12 seconds that I get spring back, the less time the worse it is and the more variabiltity in the final case neck sizes. popcorn is popping, can you two provide live commentary during mcgregor/mayweather? Appreciate Leadburner's feedback. Sent it in back in June and still waiting, I know the lead time is pretty long. I've got both. Your comments are laughable and many have seen the groups I shoot. A phone call to them might be worth your time. I have sent several full length dies into both Redding and Forster to have to neck lapped to the dimension I want. Dont you advently get a donut from this? For more information, please see our You are using an out of date browser. If for some unforeseen reason we are out of stock of a caliber die, you the customer, will be notified within 24 business hours of the order being placed. Redding makes the best body dies and competition shell holders. Reloading and tunin. If you want to set neck tension with a single operation to the tension you desire youll need a bushing die. also, choosing bushing size for redding comp set. Redding dies (and everything else Redding) used to be so much less expensive than they are these dayssigh. NOTICE: We do our best to keep all of our standard caliber reloading dies in stock. AS AN EXAMPLE: the loaded rounds measure on average .270 at the neck. Upon completion your brass will be returned to you with your Custom Die. I'd like to get an AMP machine but struggle with the price. I've never tried a Forster FL die but would be tempted to have them hone the neck for a specific neck tension and try it out. Pretty minimal sizing-- I had 2200-2300 rounds through my .260 barrel when I decided to swap to 6.5 SAUM. The Whidden sizer dies are smoother inside, made fully of steel, and run a little smaller at the cartridge base compared to the Reddings. Everyone seems to talk about overworking their brass. I'm disappointed in quality/control of the whiddens and also the seating stem on the micro seater. In addition to our die conversions and custom full-length bushing sizing dies we make a benchrest seating die for use with arbor presses. Is anybody using Whiddens custom dies? Answer: NO. With no preference on either, these types include the bushing sizer die and the non-bushing sizer die. 5. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. As the neck enters the bushing the bushing applies a predetermined amount of tension on the neck. I'll be doing some 300-500 yard deer/antelope hunting with the rifle, plus play with it at the range for performance out to 300 yards. I've deprimed Lapua 308WIN brass with the Lee decapper without a problem for what its worth. Subtract .001 . Sizer die alone is $74.99, while Seater die alone is $109.99. Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. The bushings also allow the shooter the opportunity to achieve the desired neck tension after neck turning of the brass. How many do you want me to post? Our Custom dies will solve problems such as sticky extraction and the dreaded "Bolt click" without over . See our custom dies. Forster honed necks hands down for best runout. I would go with Forester. I haven't done it so I can't confirm but I've been reading a bunch and I think it looks appealing. Redding type S fl sizing die with titanium nitride bushing. $19.95. I also use Forsters Full length non bushing dies with great success, you can send them in or order from them and for a very small fee they will hone the neck to you desired size. *Please note that the .375 & .408 CT Micrometer Seater is not a sliding sleeve style seater. Text SHOOT to (855)-240-6807 to receive exclusive news and deals! Just did the powder dispenser as a separate step. Dies made by Redding for the Ackley version prior to 2011 were marked "280 Rem Imp 40 Degrees." They are still available. We understand early in a rifle build fired brass may not be available. You can send them a print of your reamer and they will deliver a die set that matches your specific chamber dimensions and they cost about the same as a Redding type S set. I have way more Forster ultra micrometer and theyve all been great as well. If you want maximum precision for your favorite rounds including many wildcat rounds you need the tools we build into each one. We also made a video on this subject that you can check out here. You are using an out of date browser. JavaScript is disabled. My typical set up now is forster FL sizing die to decap, bump the shoulder, and set neck tension. I also use the Hornady LNL progressive for my competition which is .308 Win, F-Class Mid Range (500-600 yards). Both the Whidden Bushing Die and Whidden Standard Die are manufactured to tolerances that exceed most expectations. I'm waiting to make a judgment on Whidden dies until I receive the custom die back. The beauty of the progressive press is one completed round with every stroke. Topic Icons: Not Replied Replied Active Hot Sticky Unapproved Solved Private Closed. I prefer to full length size every time and Forster does not make such a die that will FL size and control neck tension. I've have both Whidden & Redding but in different calibers. .300blk set for subsonic and set for supersonic with 155gr boolit.) whidden dies vs redding 4 In 1 Paper Log Maker , Ohio Ordnance M60 , Mecha Sonic 2 , New Hcc Codes For 2021 , Reddit Psychiatry Spreadsheet , Scarr's Pizza Eater , Kerdi Niche With Cement Board , Lockheed Martin Corporation Bethesda Md , Furman are you sizing with a bushing die only then? I, however, would not be able to identify a die issue if I had one that was causing runout. I was eyeing the Forster with micrometer but my local shop is out of stock for another 5 weeks. This issue can be minimized or resolved by neck turning. JavaScript is disabled. I was referring to the Custom Whidden Set vs Redding Competition. When a bushing sizer die is used with no expander ball, neck sizing is done by the bushing itself. Wilson bushings. I have used all except the Whidden and get good results although I am partial to Forster. That being saidif there were anything else available in that cartridge Id save the $. whidden vs redding dies +1 (760) 205-9936. Forster FL die ($68 and gives me super control over runnout) custom honed ($17) .004" under load neck dimension does not overwork neck. When I can produce ammo with virtually no runout for all calibers I reload for and precision rifle ammo that shoots tiny little groups all day long then I feel no reason to neck turn or use bushing dies. This is a con? In our experience this allows for a more consistent neck tension when the case is loaded. I was going to wait until I was able to shoot my rifle when I get it back from the gunsmith, however it takes 2 months to get a barrel from Lilja. The pin was not bent so the decapping rod appears to have been bent from the factory. The way I approached it was to find out the reamer specs (or alternatively measure fired brass) to get a sense of a starting point that I should be looking for. Dillon Powder Die for RL 450 RL 550 XL 650. My experience isn't complete with them yet. A forum community dedicated to Mississippi State Gun Owners and enthusiasts. Popcorn is popping, can you two provide live commentary during McGregor/Mayweather? I have shot .090 groups with lee dies and .30 caliber bullets and I have shot .065 groups with .284 bullets and RCBS X dies. Im pretty much running Whidden for everything now. When this action occurs the inconsistencies of the case neck wall are forced back to the outside of the neck case. 224 Valkyrie Premium Series Full Length Die Set. So as I am looking for the dies online to buy, I noticed that the Redding dies are $60.00 to $100.00 more than the same set in Whidden. Many of our Forum members have started using Whidden dies and they are reporting very positive results. Certain calibers are only available from Whidden so that's why I prefer the Whidden. 224 Valkyrie Type-S Elite Bushing Die Set. Always remember, windage and elevation!". For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Run a bushing .002" undersize a loaded cartridge, and I "float" the bushing, don't lock it down. To ease case neck entry into the bushing, all bushings have a small radius on the inside edge. The expander enters the case neck while it is still held and centered in the neck of the die. Our hand-polished sizer die has a shorter OAL for better shoulder bump-back, a smaller base, and tighter internal tolerances. Whether you're a hunter or a competition shooter Whidden Gunworks can manufacture Custom dies to your exact specifications and if needed can work with your gunsmith to ensure your dies are as accurate as your new rifle. With the exception of the Whidden inline dies. I am looking at the Redding Competition Seater, Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater, Forster Benchrest Seater, or Whidden Micrometer Seater (260 only). Honed Forster FL dies gives me the least runout. It may not display this or other websites correctly. I get that they would all serve me very well and Im splitting hairs for differences but Im still curious to see what youd go with and why. I would note that I use Lapua and Norma brass almost exclusively which have very consistent neck/wall thickness. I use nothing but the Redding dies for my competition rifle. Both the Whidden Bushing Die and Whidden Standard Die are manufactured to tolerances that exceed most expectations. I have redding type s and Redding competition and theyve been great. That is setting neck tension with a separate part(mandrel) and a separate operation. Get a price quote first. With this method the amount of neck tension is determined by the size of the bushing as it is the only and last area of the die to be in contact with the neck of the case. We offer Custom Sizers, Seaters, Hydraulic Form Dies and Trim Dies from .20 Caliber to .408. My venture into long range shooting and calibers is only about 5 years. The Seater Die comes with a micrometer top for precise adjustments. I ordered a FL Bushing set for my 300 PRC. The sizer will accept Redding or L.E. I'm shopping for a new set of dies for 300 PRC. I'm waiting to make a judgment on Whidden dies until I receive the custom die back. The Power-Pac linkage and solid steel arm multiplies the leverage you apply to the handle, making is easier to size cases and reduces fatigue more. I like Redding and Whidden bushing dies but will stick to Redding if I have a choice. The Standard die comes complete with a die locking ring to allow the operator to secure the die at the preferred setting. Reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers, custom dies, bullet casting equipment, powder measuring and weighing equipment, bullet seating dies New Products - Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment Full length sizer dies can be broken down into two types. To reiterate you can not set tension with a non bushing die. So given that collet neck sizing is not available for a given caliber, is there any empirical evidence on the induction of run out when using a bushing based die versus a well machined precision honed, non-bushing sizing die? Runout was measured on a 21st Century Concentricity gauge. For turned necks you can get away with as little as 10 seconds. Whidden Gunworks White Oak Armament Wilson Inc. Shop all within Wilson Inc. . My preference lately is Whidden or Redding.. Lets get started. For some reason I get a little creep in the seating depth after I set it with the Hornady die but the Redding are solid. com!. I have some loads that I have been able to achieve my lowest runout values and most consistent neck tension by using an expander. Id chose Whidden over Redding any day personally. No issues with either. When sizing the case, the bushing of the die is pressed around the outside of the neck just after the expander ball of the die passes through the neck. Redding for everything other than the Lee Universal decapper. You may even be able to use a 270 Win collet die set for your 270AI. Looking for a set of dies for 6.5 creedmoor and wondering which premium die set I should go with. I'm not sure who made the reamer, however the gunsmith, Olson Gunsmithing, told me that he would send a blueprint copy of the reamer if I wanted one. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. A micrometer seating die is also better for many reasons. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. I run a separate expander mandrel die, for context. With a non-bushing die, a bushing cannot be used. Yeah I am referring to .059" flash holes in lapua brass (namely 6.5 x 47 mm) that milo was referring to. Ended up taking the gauge back to Cabela's as there was no need for it. What others may consider Wildcat is the norm for us. Not at all impressed with Whidden. I'm planning on Whidden hydroform dies, however not decided on anything else for the reloading dies. Is there a specific caliber or do you mean all Lapua brass? I've had great luck with Redding S type bushing FL dies. Just a shiny spot right above the neck in one spot. Home; Categories. The Whidden Bushing Sizer allows the flexibility of neck tension should a different thickness in the neck of the brass occur from one manufacturer to another. Our Custom dies are the best way to ensure you are getting the most efficiency out of your reloading process while gaining maximum precision and case life longevity. Subtract .002 from the diameter you measure to select the bushing size. NOTICE: We do our best to keep all of our standard caliber reloading dies in stock. I have heard this from other folks too how a FLS/ collet/ honed die can result in less runout. As the sizer die is removed from the case the bushing exits the case neck and the expander ball returns through the neck. The seating stem has a small nylon bush in the end of the seating stem which pushes against the nose of the bulletin quite far forward of the ogive. Send a reamer print to the die companies and see if their die will match up with your chamber. I will say right now Forster FL dies using a mandrel to set inside neck tension with Redding Mic seaters are my favorite combo . Dillon 650 with Whidden Floating Tool Head and Floating Lock Rings. Upon return, we bead blast, hand polish, inspect and process for shipping so please ensure you factor in the turnaround time when ordering. Whether youre a hunter or a competition shooter Whidden Gunworks can manufacture Custom dies to your exact specifications and if needed can work with your gunsmith to ensure your dies are as accurate as your new rifle. Rcbs was fine and Hornady broke the recapping rod the first time I used it for no apparent reason. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. I have only ever used the standard RCBS or Hornady Custom Grade dies, and have never had any issues with them, but they are the best I have known. I also have the Forster micro seating dies for my .223. For precision loads, my favorite is the Redding Competition S die/ micrometer seater. I got a Redding standard FL die and it has been successful getting the brass back into spec. Not expanding with a button or expander mandrel? Home; . Part of me feels the need to measure runout and the other part of me just says you are doing everything right and the results on paper look good so why bother. Replacement Decap Assembly Item #WHIDDCA21308. I prefer to full length size every time and Forster does not make such a die that will FL size and control neck tension. If you don't like Redding, you really won't like Whidden.. my last set was a polished turd that failed to go through polishing. Forum Icons: Forum contains no unread posts Forum contains unread posts. " Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" . I like the concept of the Whidden Sniper's Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy . Both the Whidden Bushing Die and Whidden Standard Die are manufactured to tolerances that exceed most expectations. Upon return, we bead blast, hand polish, inspect and process for shipping so please ensure you factor in the turnaround time when ordering. I prefer the Forster full length benchrest dies with the high mounted floating expander. Everett, WA. I prefer the Forster seating die over the Redding myself. 13095 450th Ave. Bellevue, IA 52031. I use a lot of bushing dies with great success. All of our standard sizer dies include a shoulder datum collar (shoulder bump gauge) to measure shoulder bump and headspace. I don't believe you would be making a mistake with any of the die makers you mentioned for work out to 300 yds. Make sure the store keep your private information private before you buy High End Die Face Off Forester Vs Redding Vs Whidden Dies Make sure you can proceed credit card online to buyHigh End Die Face Off Forester Vs Redding Vs Whidden Dies plus the store protects your information from fraudulents Make sure the customer support is always there to help you when you place High End . I understand this is an old thread, but want to reply anyway, Barnes vs. Hornady vs. Quickload vs. Hodgdon, Well, Im done Adulting for Today and Tomorrow. 4. However, the non-bushing sizer die uses an expander ball to size the neck of the case. I have Hornady, RCBS, Whidden, Forster and Lee dies. Obviously to obtain more neck tension a smaller size bushing would be needed. Bushing The 224 Valkyrie flattens the competition at 1,000 yards. JavaScript is disabled. Lake Gibson senior wrestler Gabby Tedesco (105, 9-0) is one of those Polk County wrestlers who will be competing for a state title. It may not display this or other websites correctly. You are using an out of date browser. The offered me the Whidden at a slight discount (but still a tad more than the Forster). palmetto high school basketball tickets; daniel galt west wing. where was the first artificial ice rink built; hmh science dimensions the diversity of living things answer key; michigan microbusiness license requirements; This is becoming a known issue with their die and the ADG 300 PRC brass. If you call die makers they will give you the specs of the sizing die so you know what would work. You must log in or register to reply here. Whidden is asking for 3 fired casings to be sent to them to make the dies, however a blueprint of the reamer will also work. I would advise against the whidden seating dies simply for the goofy nylon insert they use to seat the bullet. Anneal every 3 firings, trim every firing. Thank you for your reply. Hand charge powder using Fx120i and V3 auto trickler; +/- .02 grains. In determining neck tension with the non-bushing sizer die, simply change the expander ball size to obtain the desired amount of tension. Redding did decent for me, but would prefer Forster as a first choice. It gives you what it gives you(too much). . Lololwhen companies are giving you barrels to test it's not a wasteand all you had to say is you want to see groups at distance big guy.. and our Whidden Gunworks reloading dies are the best way to be sure you are getting the most out of your time at the reloading bench. Round. These two die types are not to be confused as being interchangeable. Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator. Its not a bushing die so Im still looking for an alternative but its hard to find anything in Canada right now. Inside the die a slidingsleeve system helps to improve concentricity a must for repeatable precision. Today I shot a .1150 group with Redding match dies and I was a bit shaky. " First encounter was finding someone who was familiar with, who was good working with Rugers and who wanted to build the rifle for me. NOTE: Measuring several loaded rounds and using the average is advisable. Building the rifle on a Ruger 77 ts, 26 in (1-8) Lilja barrel, pillar bedding, some trigger work. I then bought a RCBS FL sizer and havent had an issue since. Whidden Gunworks bushing dies will accept Whidden Gunworks, Redding, and Wilson bushings. And I always replace the Redding locking rings with the cross screw variety (Hornady usually) to save my die's threads. For precise, consistent OAL handloads, the internals of our sizing die are designed to keep your rounds . I did NOT find a nylon bushing in the seater stem. OTM tactical has a decent price on Whiddens and they are usually in stock, I have a set for a 280 Sherman theyre really nice. Ive been debating between Whidden and Redding for my 6mm Creed. Don't feel like sending 100 rounds down the pipe for no reason, hydroforming is also said to result in fewer split shoulders and more consistent brass. I like the Redding S sizer dies and the Forster micrometer seating dies. Will work with Foster Co-Ax Press. Don't have any experience with Lyman dies, but I don't think they make dies with micrometer adjustments for easy changes on the seating depth, and haven't seen any bushing dies for controlling neck tension. You can tell the machining differences and quality when you use both. It also fully sizes the case neck fully to the shoulder for smoother functioning. Shall I start posting them for you?? The seating die that comes with the collet die set is a dead length bullet seater which I find is the best seater that comes with standard die set. Once the entire batch is made, we send them out to be hardened via a carburized heat treat process to ensure a lifetime of use. At this time we are not able to make dies with radius shoulders such as cartridge designs by Weatherby. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, ranges, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! The pin retainer is used to retain the decapping pin and protects the stem of the die. A group can only be so small and a man can only be so accurate. Whidden Gunworks manufactures custom dies for you to match your exact specifications for .20 Caliber and larger. I was getting terrible runout from both Redding and Whidden bushing dies in 2 different calibers with Lapua fireformed brass that was annealed. Some smiths flat out told me that I was making a mistake going with the Ruger, others simply wanted to sell me a custom or blueprinted Remington action, others told me that they get a whole lot more money to do the build because Rugers required special tooling to work on them. I have other Redding sizing dies (non-competition) where the decapping pin scribes a circle if you rotate it in your hand. My Redding sizing dies all seem a little rough on the inside compared to the Whidden's. In any case I believe you will need custom dies if your cartridge is the 270 AI then all should be do a great job. I've used all three brands. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Tumble (For me, wet via STM). This is similar to a Wilson hand die with micrometer top. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Two-die set, FL Sizer and Micrometer-top Seater, costs $184.99. Either can work best. Not sure why. I'm going to upgrade my dies for two rifles and am undecided which die manufacturer to go with. I prefer them over my Whidden Seating dies. The quality and outcome is far superior to anything else I have tried. Out of Stock. How do you feel the Hornady Match Grade sets compare with Redding? Carry on with your bad self. For this example, a .268 Bushing would be a good starting point to obtain about .001 neck tension. Proponents of them say that the floating bushing is supposed to allow the case to self center, thus improve concentricity? Sorry your skills dont stack up. I told him what I was looking for, he recommended Lilja barrels, I was very happy with the suggestion and now he is building my rifle. I understand that a FL bushing die will work the brass much less than a standard die with expander ball, but other that that, what makes Redding or Whidden worth almost 10x the cost of standard dies? It seemed to me that you could size the neck down with a regular die and then set neck tension with a mandrel. Whidden dies worth the extra chedda? You can anneal more or less to control neck hardness and maintain the same seating pressure. If you have questions or need help with ordering feel free to email us at: CustomDies@whiddengunworks.com. I prefer Redding, Wilson and Whidden for the reasons already stated. I dont believe that using or not using an expander should be generalized as a proper practice. . In reality, over the coarse of brass life, the properties of brass change, and the gripping power of the necks will be the first indicator.
Swgoh 3v3 Defense Teams 2021, Articles W